You're a nice person, and you want to be friendly with your neighbors. But some people will use that niceness to take advantage of you. Find that fine line between being firm and being rude to deal with your neighborly nuisance.
You Will Need
* The ability to say no
Step 1: Pay attention to your gut feelings
Take your gut feelings seriously, and pay attention to them. If your gut tells you to stay away from a needy neighbor, heed the advice.
Step 2: Establish boundaries
Be clear about boundaries and what you will and will not tolerate. If a needy neighbor violates your boundaries, let them know as soon as possible.
Step 3: Stay energized and busy
Stay energized. Negative people don't like being around people who maintain a positive outlook, and being too busy to talk will get them looking elsewhere to fulfill their needs.
Tip: Limit conversations.
Step 4: Say no
Explain to your needy neighbor when they call or drop by that you are busy and can't visit with them. Be polite but firm before they suck you in.
Fact: Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood produced more than 870 episodes.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades