It's the most frustrating thing in the world: You're in the middle of a story and can't think of the word or name you need. Retrieve it fast with these tricks.
You Will Need:
* Hand gestures
* Eye movements
* The alphabet
* The ability to forget
Move or wave your hands. Canadian researchers have found that gesturing activates both the language and memory part of the brain, increasing your chances of remembering the word you're looking for.
Wave your hands while you're trying to memorize something. One study found that this makes you three times more likely to retain it.
Move your eyes back and forth horizontally. It activates both the "spatial" right brain and the "logical" left brain, and together they can help you retrieve the lost word.
Run through the alphabet in your head. When you come to the first letter of the word you're looking for, it often triggers your memory.
Fuggedaboudit. In a British study, people who stopped searching for the right word were 30 percent more successful at remembering it than those who kept struggling. Trying too hard makes things worse by causing stress, which impairs memory.
Fact: Some research indicates we forget 30 percent of what we hear after 20 minutes, and 50 percent within half an hour.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades