The first thing that comes to mind when your car is stolen is: ####!! However, once calm, cover these bases when your car is stolen to notify relevant parties and help ensure vehicle recovery or replacement.
You Will Need:
• The local impound lot's phone number
• Your vehicle's identifying information
• Your automobile and homeowner's insurance information
• The leasing or financing company's phone number
Step 1: Confirm the car is stolen
Consider whether your car may have been towed due to a parking violation or repossession. Check with the impound lot in the city where you last saw the vehicle to verify whether the car is there.
Step 2: Collect vehicle information
Collect the following vehicle information for the theft report: year, make, model, body style, color, license plate number, vehicle identification number (VIN), value, and insurance carrier.
Step 3: File a police report
File a written report with the local or state police in the municipality where the theft occurred. Make the report only if you are the vehicle's registered owner.
Step 4: Call your insurance company
Report the theft to your automobile insurance company online or by phone as soon as possible after filing the police report.
Step 5: Complete paperwork
Complete and rapidly return any forms, such as a vehicle theft questionnaire, that your insurance carrier requires. Tip: Find out whether your automobile or homeowner's insurance policy may reimburse you for the value of any personal property that you left inside the stolen vehicle.
Step 6: Contact your finance or leasing company
Call your financing or leasing company, to report the theft. Tell them to discuss the case directly with your insurance carrier to expedite claims processing.
Step 7: Notify insurance about recovery
Notify your insurance company if and when your vehicle is recovered – and celebrate that your wheels are back in your possession.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades